Monday, January 15, 2007

More Data From Lanes Cove

I got the webcam up and running about a year ago and the results have been great--just under 30,000 hits so far (averaging more that 100 a day). I have had many very nice e-mails saying how people enjoy watching the weather, or the goings on on Lanes Cove. Of course this time of the year the days are short and so there's less to see, but people still tune in.

I've always wanted a weather station and this year Santa was very good to me. I now have a Davis Instruments Vantage Pro2 system. Data from the weather station is read into my computer where I combine it with the webcam page (www.lanescove.us/webcam). It is very preliminary--the weather data is updated every minute, but the webpage only updates the webcam image automatically--you have to manually refresh the page to get the absolute up to the minute weather data.

Right now the anemometer is mounted off of my deck, so it doesn't register exactly the same wind speed and direction that you might see out on the breakwater. We are protected from northeast winds, so you rarely see substantial winds from that direction. Maybe someday I will put a remote anemometer out on the breakwater--now that would be cool!

Anyway, hopefully it is helpful and fun and I pledge it will get better in the future. Let me know what you think.

8 Comments:

  • Hi Stan. I have been enjoying your webcam for some time and I think your weather data is a great addition. I also have a Vantage Pro 2 set up in my backyard here in Litchfield, CT. I upload the data to my website every half hour. I've placed a link to your webcam on my Gloucester page which features some photos I have taken in Gloucester over the years.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:25 AM  

  • Leo,

    I've enjoyed your photos of Gloucester in the past. Thanks for the link. My next challenge is adding the tide information directly to the webcam page. Should be interesting.

    Thanks for your comments.

    Stan

    By Blogger Stan, at 8:49 AM  

  • Hi Stan...

    I stumbled into your page doing a "webcam birthday card" search looking for some way to incorporate a webcam message into a birthday greeting (I'm new to webcams having just setup the first one for our family).

    It was almost eerie that your blog showed up on top as I learned just today that my niece's husband is contemplating a work move to nearby Manchester-by-the-sea. How's THAT for a coincidence?

    I was curious what software or service you use to put that nice lettering on your webcam window?

    Thanks, and I enjoyed looking at your blog. I'll be back. Good job!

    Jay

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:52 PM  

  • P.S. Here's a link you might enjoy

    http://maps.live.com/?v=2&sp=Point.r3cxk293bk41_On%2520The%2520Cove

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:20 PM  

  • Jay,

    Thanks for the compliments. The web works in mysterious ways, and I think that is the beauty of it. You never know what you will find--it is so rich in content.

    The software for the webcam is called ImageCaster http://www.econtechnologies.com/site/Pages/ImageCaster/imgcast_overview.html and is Macintosh based. The weather information is input from a Davis Instruments Vantage Pro2 weather stations with WeatherLink software (again, Mac based).

    Manchester-by-the-Sea (renamed so as not to be confused with Manchester, NH) is a lovely, if not generally overpriced town. Good luck to you niece and her husband--the North Shore and Cape Ann are great places to live (if you can afford it).

    Stan

    By Blogger Stan, at 6:38 AM  

  • Hi! I'm away from home but wondering if the webcam is having issues? Would love to be able to watch while away...

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:08 PM  

  • The webcam was off this afternoon due to a power failure. As I write this now, it is dark, so not much to see.

    By Blogger Stan, at 9:24 PM  

  • Love the webcam Stan! I live about three houses away from you, but travel a lot and its nice to be able to see what is happening back home. Cam has been recording some really rockin' storm shots this winter! Is http://www.lanescove.us/bonfire/ you too?

    -Rick

    By Anonymous Rick, at 8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




  uscity.net directory