Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Sea Smoke


Winter has finally arrived on Lanes Cove--with a vengeance. The winds last night were blowing steadily 25-30 MPH with 35 MPH gusts. With temperatures in the single digits, that puts the windchill around -13F.

Sea smoke (a kind of frigid fog) forms in these conditions. Pushed around by the winds the condensed water vapor has the appears of smoke. You know it's cold when you see it. We've seen a little ice around the edges of the cove, but I think the water temperature is still relatively warm. It will take sustained low temperatures (below 20F) to create heavy ice in the cove.

I noticed the last lobster boat left the cove about a week ago--actually pretty late in the season. So the activity in the cove is pretty minimal, except for some pretty ferocious weather.

2 Comments:

  • Thanks for putting up your webcam, Stan. I live in Florida and vacation in Cape Ann when I can. I have family on the Mill River and passing your cove is part of the fun of going shopping in Rockport. Well, that was a giveaway, yes, I am a woman.
    Thanks again, Joyce

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:33 PM  

  • Stan, Thanks so much for the web cam I love checking it for the weather. I spend summers in Lanesville so it's nice to see the view in winter

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




  uscity.net directory